Stylish AND eco-friendly!
These barrels, typically made from materials like plastic, wood, or metal, are positioned beneath downspouts to capture rainwater that would otherwise flow into storm drains.
By harnessing this natural resource, rain barrels promote water conservation and reduce the strain on municipal water supplies during dry periods.
Rain barrels raise awareness about water conservation and sustainable living, encouraging individuals to play an active role in preserving precious water resources while simultaneously benefiting their own gardens and surroundings.
Not only do rain barrels contribute to more sustainable water management, but they also mitigate storm water runoff, which can help prevent soil erosion and reduce the potential for flooding in urban areas.
The collected rainwater from rain barrels can be used for various non-potable purposes, such as watering plants, washing cars, and even cleaning outdoor surfaces.
Using rainwater instead of treated tap water for these activities can result in lower water bills and a reduced carbon footprint associated with water treatment and transportation.
This Koolscapes 55-gallon rain barrel from Walmart (shown in photo above) is currently only $119 (down from $168). Features include:
- Elegant speckled sandstone look
- Brass spigot with standard hose threading and lower drain with leakproof cap
- Overflow spout directs excess water to where you want it
- Corrosion-resistant recycled plastic withstands extreme weather with no cracking or fading
- A child-proof safety grid prevents unwanted access
- Fully open top for maximum water capture
- The removable screen keeps out insects and debris
- Durable rotational-molded construction
- Reduces municipal water usage by up to 40 percent
Photo credit: Koolscapes/Koolatron