First published in 1990 - it is as relevant to gardeners today as it was decades ago.
So begins one of the best books for gardeners who love to make full use of the best of the season's fruits, nuts and berries.
A Country Harvest - A Celebration of Autumn is one of those gorgeously photographed books that you look forward to pulling off the bookshelf each early autumn in preparation of the Fall harvest.
Country Harvest includes over 175 recipes for jams, jellies, breads, pies, wines, cordials, and flavored vinegars. Some are more traditional recipes, others are unusual and highly creative. Here are some easy favorites from the book to try:
- Mint jelly
- Spiced blackberries in vodka
- Autumn Chutney
- Pears in Brandy Syrup (or in Red Wine)
- Dried Apple Rings
- Nutty Carrot Loaf (or cake)
- Apple Upside Down Cake
- Pear and Orange (or Plum) Cordial
- Rosehip wine (or rosehip tea)
- Blackberry (or raspberry or elderberry) vinegar
- Ripe tomato sauce (spiced with a little cayenne and some tarragon vinegar
You'll also enjoy instruction on drying flowers and seedheads, numerous homemade gift ideas, and inspiration galore.
Buy it for yourself or as a gift for a special gardener friend.
Authors: Linda Burgess and Rosamond Richardson