Whether you have 10 acres or an urban lot, you can quickly make your yard a healthier and happier place for your family by designing edible landscaping.
Growing your own produce and herbs will provide you with optimal nutrition and delicious food, and it will save your family a lot of money in the process. Below, we share how you can take your yard and health to the next level.
Starting your own garden? Join the Black Forest Garden Club for informative meetings and events, or visit this site for timely gardening information and special local offers!
Choosing What to Grow
First of all, consider all of the crops you could grow in your landscape. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Plant loose-leaf lettuce along the border of your property.
- Plant Swiss chard, pak choi, asparagus, and other vegetables in flower beds.
- Incorporate grape and tomato vines over a trellis.
Managing Your Edible Landscaping
Once you’ve determined what to grow, think about how you will get started and maintain your edible landscape.
- Hire a professional landscaping company to handle the design and installation.
- Regularly weed your garden beds and prune your plants.
- If necessary, use organic pest control products, and use the appropriate soil for your region.
Turning Your Yard into a Business
Finally, consider supplementing your income by making a business out of your edible landscape.
- Determine what crops to sell, such as organic produce, culinary herbs, or cut flowers.
- Define your target audience, make a business plan, and develop a local marketing strategy.
If you’re looking to make your home a place that lets your family live and grow healthily, embracing edible landscaping will do the trick. Consider the ideas and resources above to get started on your yard makeover.