- Lemon Basil Room Spray to make rooms smell fresh and clean. Here's the recipe: boil ¾ cup water and add four tablespoons of dried basil. Let it steep for a few minutes. Line a funnel with a coffee filter, and place it in the opening of a reusable spray bottle. Carefully pour the basil and water mixture into the bottle through the filter to remove the herbs, then discard the filter. Add ¾ cup distilled water, one tablespoon vodka, and five drops of lemon essential oil to the bottle. Attach the spray bottle top and shake to combine the mixture.
- Orange/Apple Simmer Pot fills the home with warm inviting scents. It's easy! Cut an orange or apple (or both) into slices and add a small handful of cloves and cinnamon sticks. Package in a pretty plastic bag with instructions to add water to cover the ingredients and simmer on the stove for several hours to release the scent. As long as the water is kept topped up, this can be simmered all day to release the scent. Can also be reused for several days.
- Natural Deer Repellents - try these homemade deer repellent solutions to keep deer from eating colorful blooms and veggies.
- Pinecone Wreath - this is a gift that will last for years. A change of ribbon may be all that's needed to give it a fresh look each season, and with pinecones in abundance in our area - it's a 'natural' for a great gift. Simply gather pinecones, twist thin wire around each pinecone, and attach individually to a wire or grapevine wreath frame. The first pinecones on the wreath will be a little wobbly and that's ok. The more pinecones added, the more stable they will become. Make your wreaths large or small to suit your recipient's home and decor style. Add cinammon sticks, dried orange/lemon slices, dried hydrangea flowers, gold spray painted pods, and even fresh amaryllis blooms to the wreath to make it even more special.
- Dried herbs and seasoned salts – Fill a mixing bowl with your own dried herbs and seasoned salt made from dehydrated red peppers, onions, and garlic. Round out the basket with beautiful dish towels or oven mitts.
- Fresh Herbs - give the gift of a windowsill garden by giving fresh herbs in pots. Propagate from your own herb garden or purchase new from one of our wonderful local nurseries.
There are lots of ways for gardeners to show love during the holidays. Here are more ideas for wonderful gifts you can make yourself that speak 'garden' to family and friends. Gifts from the Garden Part 1 can be read here.