Our January meeting was on What to do in the Garden in January/February, and presented by Black Forest Garden Club member Cassie.
There isn't a lot that can be done in our gardens and landscapes in January and February, but Cassie has created this list of what you can accomplish to get you back in the spirit of gardening for now:
- Clean your Tools and apply Linseed Oil to wood handles (see this blog post for how-to instructions).
- Sharpen blades, including on shovels, spades, and lawnmowers, and clean off any rust (for details on how-to click here). Local resources for blade sharpening is on our Resources page.
- Cut back ornamental grasses before the heavy, wet snows of Spring hit.
- Start cleaning out perennials beds
- To minimize fire danger, begin to replace your flammable bark mulch with rock mulch.
- Start looking at seed catalogs and order soon! Seed companies regularly run out of products, so the sooner you order the better.
For even more ideas on what to do in the garden now - click here.
Seed and Plant Resources
High Country Roses
CSU Vegetable Planting Guide
Dixondale Farms - family grown onions
Farmer's Almanac list of 40 seed catalogs to order
Burpee Free Seed Catalog Request form