Autumn is a great time to start or modify a garden and a prime time to invest in fall plants.
A big bonus of purchasing and planting in early fall (i.e. right now), is that many nurseries have their plants on sale. For example, Tagawa Gardens has 50% off trees and shrubs now, and 40% off perennials. Pine Lane Nursery currently has all trees, shrubs, perennials, hanging baskets, and ornamental grasses 30% off.
This article from RealSimple lists 20 plants to consider adding to your garden for Fall color now and in the coming years. Most are Zone 4 - 9 but double check to make sure they'll survive our sometimes Zone 3 Colorado high-altitude weather.
Some particularly stunning plants on the list:
- Grace-n-Grit Roses (would need to be netted if not protected behind a fence to keep away deer). Just saw these for sale at Home Depot on Wednesday.
- FloralBerry Sangria Hypericum - beautiful dark green foliage with yellow flowers and red berries
- Little Joker Ninebark - dark foliage with delicate pink flowers
- Snapdragons - favorite of many and deer don't touch them
- Asters - withstand near-freezing temps and sport a pretty pop of fall color in an otherwise tired summer garden