It should come as no surprise that the bluebirds are back, sporting their distinctive blue markings, and yet each year as they appear one feels the need to give a little extra "woohoo" in celebration.
According to the Colorado Avian Research and Rehabilitation Institute (carriep.org), mountain bluebirds arrive in Colorado in late February-early March and the western bluebirds arrive a bit later. Bluebirds often built a nest within a nest box; then leave for a few days, to a few weeks, before returning to begin nesting.
The Institute has a lot to offer when it comes to providing bird boxes for bluebirds.
"What we have found is that it is not the box size that determines what species nests within the box, but rather the location in which the nest box is placed that determines which species has the best chance of nesting within it."
- If the nest box is placed out in an open field, there is a good chance Mountain Bluebirds would use it. However, there is an equal chance that Violet-green Swallows may use it too.
- If the box is placed near a bush there is a good chance that House Wrens will use the box.
- If the box is placed near water, there is a good chance Tree Swallows will use the box.
- If the box is placed within open ponderous pine forests, you have a good chance of Western Bluebirds nesting in it.
- Mountain Bluebirds arrive in the mountains of Colorado in late February-early March and the Western Bluebirds arrive a bit later.
- Bluebirds often built a nest within a nest box; then leave for a few days, to a few weeks, before returning to begin nesting. Sometimes they simply build a nest in a box and never return to use it.
Did you know? Occasionally, a single male will mate with two or more females and raise multiple families at the same time.
Bluebirds feed upon grasshoppers, mealworms, earthworms, berries, suet, and various flying insects.
For information on how to build and locate a bluebird box, or to apply for an already built box for your residence, click here.
And here's a video on how to build a bluebird box.