Rock gardens stunningly beautiful when done well. They are highly sustainable, use little water, and literally elevate a landscape.
Rocks and boulders add depth and dimension to an otherwise mundane space, and with added plantings, introduce an element of natural delight into the outdoor environment of a home.
The rugged appearance of rocks and boulders contribute an earthy, natural, and even dramatic appeal to an outdoor space, and beautifully connect any landscape to the natural world.
Highlights of a rock garden include:
- Low maintenance
- Lend year-round structure and interest to the landscape
- Add style and scale
- Don’t look overly contrived or designed
- Highly sustainable
- Save water
- Evoke a sense of calm and order
- Perfect for filling a large outdoor space
- Help to prevent erosion on steep or terraced areas of landscape
- Perfect for water features
- Design appropriate and fitting for our area
Garden Design has an excellent primer on planning, building, and planting a rock garden. The article includes a resourceful list of plants that are well suited to rock gardens.
Photo credit: Camelot Design